Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Sign Of A Good Man

Had a conversation with someone yesterday on a very known politician in Malaysia. He made a comment that he pitied this politician because he feels the politician is a nice guy but weak. My response was, I do not think he is a nice guy. My conversation partner then pointed out that whatever error that the politician committed due to the influence by someone else. Being a weak person, he fell for it.

I begged to differ. In my view, it boils down to the man's conscience. If the conscience is clear, the intent is honest, it'll be translated into good behaviour and hence an honourable act. When you have clear concience, you will know what is wrong and what is right. You will always do the right thing, even how difficult or painful it may be.

In this case, if the politician has clear conscience, he would not have fell into the trap of being influenced by someone else, including his close family members. But since he did, it shows that he does not have a good conscience, and thus, not a good man. Simple.

I think people must take ownership on the consequences of their act and not blame onto others for the damages and pain they have caused. Being weak may not be a sign of a bad individual, but letting others to take advantage of your weaknesses and refused to take responsibility of the consequences is definitely can't be categorized as a good man. When I grew up, you know what we called for people who did a boo-boo, did not want to own it and worse, blame others? Penipu..which is cheater! In grown-up words .. I think we can call them hypocrites or a*sh***s. No offence - just my view.

No comments: